Sunday, April 24, 2011

Learning to Let Go...

So have been searching for a new topic for this blog post, and it was seeming quite difficult, until I realized that I have already started to reach one of my life goals as a parent.  I am proud to announce that I on the road of 'Letting Go.'

This started when we missed out on buying our 'dream' home.  For the split second our whole world seemed to be turned upside down with the horrible news, then I looked around and saw everything that I am so thankful for!  The handsome, healthy boys in my life, the beautiful house that I already call home, and the wonderful people that are in my life.  I suddenly didn't seem so upset.  I gave up the stress and tension that I had been carrying around for weeks, or even months, and REALLY realized that the life I have NOW is the life I want to live.  Of couse Ben and I have dreams of moving back to be closer to my family, but at this exact moment in our lives, it is not the best option.  And accepting that has been one of the most healthy things I have done in a long time.

Preston also isn't the 'robot baby' that his brother was, and I'm still not used to being woken up in the middle of the night, but I am learning that not all babies are the same.  Yes, I have known that fact for a very long time, but now I am actually LEARNING it!  Preston is one of the happiest babies I know, happier than Parker was, so if that is matched by his need to eat more than Parker did at night.. So be it.  I have decided to surrender myself to the immediate needs of my children, because in the end, I KNOW I will miss these days.  All too soon, Preston will be sleeping through the night and Parker will not need me to celebrate every successful potty visit, so I better take these wonderfully horrible moments while I can.

And as I'm sitting here, writing this post, and Parker has just run up to me with what seems like the tenth piece of candy from his Easter basket, I have realized that we WILL survive.  We may need to have to purge ourselves of treats for the next few weeks (we probably won't to be completely honest), but for today I have decided to let it go and let him be a kid.  I can deal with the chocolate mess later!  And with that.. I can feel the stress melt away and the whole Kelley family feel happier and healthier (maybe not 'healthier' with all the chocolate we've all eaten today, but you get my point).

Happy Easter everyone!  I hope you have a wonderful day celebrating with your loved ones!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Some of my greatest blessings have come out of things I considered trials at the time. These things are so hard to remember in the moment, but so worthwhile in the long run! None of us will ever look back with regret at meeting the needs of our precious children...or enjoying life for what it is, not what it could be :)

    ReplyDelete