Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hello, Reality! It's Been Awhile...

The thing that is really hard, and really amazing is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work on being yourself.
-Anna Quindlen

I want to know why so many women jumped on board the 'June Clever' bandwagon, but skipped over 'Roseanne'? I personally think I can compare myself a lot more to the woman whose house is a mess, doesn't have the tidiest appearance and whose children aren't perfect. However, I (as I'm sure a lot of other mommies) strive for the image of the perfect mommy. Why? Sorry to break it to you ladies, but it is impossible to be Mrs. Clever and still have any energy left over to do what you want and what you feel is necessary to live a happy, balanced life.

No matter how many other mommies I talk to, they all agree with the fact that they're not perfect no matter how much they try to be. So, seriously, why are we trying so hard to be PERFECT. We should be each other's support instead of competition! For most of us, we have healthy, beautiful families and a roof over our heads. Isn't that what is important?

Here are a few promises that I can make to you...

If you invite me over, you can leave your house a mess.. Mine is everyday (except for the quick twenty minute clean up I have before playdates). I will not judge you, if anything... I will feel more comfortable!

I will not judge another mother for missing a playdate/class... We can't do it all and you're an idiot if you think you can.

I may compliment you for looking nice, but I won't judge you if you didn't get to shower that day or even get dressed. I for one sat in my pajamas all day today (they were pretty classy if I may add... capri pants and wool socks and an oversized shirt. No wonder Ben left for Mankato early)

I will give you any encouragement I can for you to make time for yourself! As difficult as it has been to figure out, I'm realizing it can't be ALL about my kids. We will all suffer if I don't get an outlet for my own hobbies and activities!

So, can we please all agree to ditch the perfect mommy persona? It is really making me exhausted and any extra energy I can keep at the moment, I would love to have!

Good night ladies... Momma really needs her sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment